Tuesday, January 1, 2013

A “one and only” new year's resolution: to be light in the world for Christ.


How will my 2013 be?  Will it be better or worse than 2012? I know that it will be impossible to be the same ... but with what attitude should I approach these next 365 days of my life?

At the beginning of each year, we usually start with a series of new year's resolutions: I will stop doing this, I will start doing that, I will do less of this and more of that. When we hit the 31st December, statistics say that most of the good intentions have been diluted in the ocean of life of the past 364 days.

Our proposals are all very positive for us, for our loved ones and those we meet every day. They are all prompted by our innate desire to improve ourselves, to advance in the good things, to promote not only ourselves but also positive values ​​in the world where we spend those 365 days so that it will be better and we can enjoy it to the full.

So why is it so difficult, if not impossible, to live doing something which is really good and positive for us and for others?

What is missing is that in order to change the way we act, the first thing we need to do is to change ourselves. Jesus told us clearly:

“No one tears a piece out of a new garment to patch an old one. Otherwise, they will have torn the new garment, and the patch from the new will not match the old. And no one pours new wine into old wineskins. Otherwise, the new wine will burst the skins; the wine will run out and the wineskins will be ruined. And no one after drinking old wine wants the new, for they say, ‘The old is better.’ ” (Luke 5:36-39 NIV)

So every year we pour new wine in old damaged wineskins and, unfailingly every year the new wine is lost along the road of our 365 days and when we get to at the 31st December there is little or no wine left.

However, a way does exist to be sure that we can can be renewed ourselves to keep the new wine until the end of our year. What I propose to you is my personal “one and only” new year's resolution" which alone includes all the good intentions that I would have for me and for others in this 2013: to be light in the world for Christ.

"No one lights a lamp and puts it under a clay pot. Instead, it is placed on a lampstand, where it can give light to everyone in the house. Make your light shine, so others will see the good you do and will praise your Father in heaven. " (Matthew 5:15-16 CEV)

If I can remember every day I'm not on this earth to spend my years just living, but to be a living witness of Christ, who us alive and working in the world and in people's lives, then I will be able to be renewed myself on a daily basis and adjust my behavior step by step. By doing this, I will spread a bright, pure warm light for others. And, in doing so, I know I'll never be alone, because Jesus has promised:

"If you love me, show it by doing what I've told you. I will talk to the Father, and he'll provide you another Friend so that you will always have someone with you. This Friend is the Spirit of Truth. The godless world can't take him in because it doesn't have eyes to see him, doesn't know what to look for. But you know him already because he has been staying with you, and will even be in you! " (John 14:15-18 MSG)
And I trust Jesus.

But, as always, theory without application does not bear any fruit, so I want to to share with you what I will do first, based on my “one and only” resolution for 2013.

In Italy, as in many parts of the world, we are living a time of recession and of economic and political uncertainty. Throughout 2012, I have largely applied myself either on social media or personally to show all my anger and impatience with the Italian situation. What was the effect on the people around me? Did they see a "better light"? Did I somehow "build" anyone up with my outbursts of hatred towards a situation that affects not only me but a few million other people? Did I warm any heart?

The questions are, of course, rhetorical, and the answers are all a big dry "no” But if I had already taken my "one and only" resolution at the beginning of 2012, I might have lit and warmed up someone in need, rather than exacerbate his anger.  For this reason, in accordance with my "one and only” resolution", I will work in 2013 to emphasize the good that I see in the world, rather than the evil I suffer.

But this is what the Spirit has prompted in me. You'll have to ask yourself, with the same Spirit's help, how to be a witness of the light of Christ.

As you can see from the photo, I signed my resolution with my name. Are you are ready to do the same, to be the light of Christ in 2013?

The best I can wish for you is to accept the challenge of this "one and only resolution". And be sure you will not be alone in this, but the Holy Spirit will fight with you so that you keep your resolution!

Happy 2013!

No comments:

--- Visits since January 1° 2012 ---